[InterMine Dev] cannot create templates taking lists

Richard Smith richard at flymine.org
Fri Nov 20 10:58:33 GMT 2009

Hi Jun,
Thanks very much for your comments, some responses below:

> I was experimenting with embedding Templates from FlyMine in my web
> pages. The templates taking one parameter worked very well for me.
> However, as the warning messages shown to me, the Embed function does
> not work when the templates take lists as inputs.

This is true, the embedding of templates doesn't currently work with
lists.  However, there is a workaround as most templates that accept
identifiers use LOOKUP constraints with which you can use a comma
separated list of identifiers.

For example, with this template you could enter 'eve, zen, bib' and
then view the embed link, you can then see results for all three genes.

http://www.flymine.org/query/template.do?name=Gene_Protein

> This is a pity, which means that I have to use the web services to
> retrieve data for a list of objects; or there are some other alternative
> programmatic access interfaces, such as the RESTful services?:)
>
> I am curious to know what the near plan for supporting lists.

We do plan to add support for uploading lists via the web service and
for authenticating so users can access saved information from their
MyMine account.  We have done some work on these and hope to have
time to do more in the next few months.

We will also look into fetching data about individual genes, proteins,
etc via a RESTful interface.

> Meanwhile, during the process of using the web services, I also noticed
> that the performance varied very much. Sometimes it took a very long
> time to return results containng only one record. I guess it is not the
> size of the results that matters, but the complexity of the query?

You are right it is down to the complexity of the query, not the number
of rows.  But if you are running templates from FlyMine they should be
precomputed and run quickly.  If you have some examples of queries that
are consistently slow we can look into it.

Thanks,
Richard.