[InterMine Dev] seeking advice, best practices

Vallejos, Andrew avallejos at mcw.edu
Tue Sep 13 18:41:14 BST 2011

Hi Joel,

Here is what I do in RatMine.

Extending the BioEntity.  If I have a new core feature to add I first
consult the Sequence Ontology to see if there is a relevant term to use.
If there is, then I simply add the term to the Sequence Ontology file in
my mine.  If there is not, or if I have some specific reason to have a
new model, then I extend the model that makes the most sense.  For
example, RatMine has SNPs.  But I wanted to differentiate between rsSNP
and ssSNPs.  So I created two subclasses of SNP and names them
accordingly.  The added benefit of this being someone can query for all
SNPs or just the sub class they want.  I have not encountered any model
conflicts myself.

For other data source, I review the existing mines.  FlyMine and ModMine
are the two I usually use.  If I am doing something completely novel
then I just create a new top level model.

For source control I use Git.  I have two Git repos, ratmine and
ratmine_bio_sources.  RatMine is the main mine directory that lives in
the top level of the Intermine checkout.  Ratmine_bio_sources resides in
the bio/ directory, next to sources.  I place all RatMine specific
sources in ratmine_bio_sources. (Both repos are publicly available from
GitHub.)

Where I have had to modify the core Intermine code, I make notes.  And
then diligently remodify the InterMine code after every checkout.

I am not saying that my methods should be adopted as "best practices",
but that is what I do.  I am also open to suggestions.

-Andrew Vallejos