[InterMine Dev] reducing source loading times

Josh Goodman jogoodma at indiana.edu
Thu Feb 2 03:35:59 GMT 2012

You need to be careful of the various memory settings here.  If you
set ant really high (>25% of total memory) and you are also setting Pg
high you could be suffering from the two of them fighting over system
resources and causing the swap to get thrashed.  I would run the unix
"free" command while you are running a load to see what is going on
with memory.

e.g.

free -m -s 5

If you have other processes running on this machine (tomcat instances)
you also need to adjust ant and Pg to take that into account.

Josh