[InterMine Dev] Java classes querying backend

Alex Kalderimis alex at intermine.org
Tue Aug 13 16:11:47 BST 2013

OK, well then I will suggest a Perl/Python/Ruby/JS based solution,
and will outline what you would do if you really really wanted to do
this in java.

Using a webservice client:
==============================

 a. Build the db & release a web-app on top of it.
    The web application does not need to be super configured with
    templates and stuff or even have much of a userprofile.
 c. Compile a list of asserted relationships.
 b. Process your asserted relationships.

Examples of using python and perl to do this can be found below:

Using Python to list the relationships to assert:

This script assumes all fields should be populated at least once,
so it just lists them out.

#!/usr/bin/env python
# Usage:
#  python /this/script url-of-mine

import sys
from intermine.webservice import Service

mine = Service(sys.argv[1])
fmt = "{0}.{1}{2}"

for cls in mine.model.classes.itervalues():
  for field in cls:
    suffix = "" if field.fieldtype == "attribute" else ".id"
    print(fmt.format(cls.name, field.name, suffix))

exit()

Perl:
------------------------------

This script then checks that all those paths have at least a single
piece of data associated with them. Obviously, this could be done with
a curated and hand-written set of asserted paths.

#!/usr/bin/perl
# Usage: perl -x /this/mail/message $url_of_api < $file

use Webservice::InterMine;
my ($url_of_api) = @ARGV;

my $mine = get_service $url_of_api;

while ( <STDIN> ) {
    chomp;
    my $path = $mine->new_path($_);
    my $count = $path->get_possible_values_count;
    print "$path: $count\n";
}

__END__

It would be similarly straightforward to do this in Ruby or using node.js.

If you really really don't want to release a web-app

Then you have to use Java; there is no mechanism for using other
languages without a web-application API layer.

Now, it is possible to do similar things with Java _without_ releasing a web-app:
 a. Build a db
 b. Build a new application to run your program which:
   i. Connects to the objectstore (this requires using the appropriate properties files).
   ii. Parses the Model (much as above).
   iii. Constructs path-queries for each path to assert.
   iv. Runs them and interprets the results.

There isn't much of a framework for building such applications,
although it is totally possible. It involves writing an application
that connects directly to the database, so it isn't the kind of thing
we normally go around encouraging; if you would like to go down this
avenue and need some help, let us know and we will see what we can do.

All best,

Alex Kalderimis.