[InterMine Dev] keyword_search_index size

Julie Sullivan julie at flymine.org
Wed Mar 12 13:03:30 GMT 2014

Hi Joe!

Wow, really great work! and thank you for sharing what you've learned.

IDs should definitely not be indexed and can be safely ignored. That
should be true for all classes though, so I've made a ticket:

	https://github.com/intermine/intermine/issues/566

I'm not sure about the zip library, it's been a while since I've looked
at it. Let me know what you find out!

Cheers
Julie

On 11/03/14 18:31, Joe Carlson wrote:
> [...]
> re-unzip with every web app restart.
>
> A couple things I was wondering are:
>
> 1) is my version of java.util.zip.ZipEntry just old? When I'm stepping
> through the code with eclipse it tells me I have v1.42 dated 1/2/2008.
> It bothers me that I see (-1 MB) in the log messages for the
> entry.getSize(). Do you see the correct segment size in your log files?
>
> 2) LUKE tells me that I'm indexing the id fields of all (non-excluded)
> tables. Is this necessary? the id field of InterMineObject itself is 1/4
> of the index size. I sure would like to drop these.
>
> Anyway, thanks for whatever comments you have,
>
> Joe
>
> Julie Sullivan wrote:
>> Hi Joe
>>
>> 1. I'd be interested to see what the index is like for your full
>> database. FlyMine's is 2 GB but that database is only 75 GB. I do have
>> facets which increases the search index size a bit.
>>
>> Are there any types you can safely not index? Here's a list of FlyMine's:
>>
>> https://github.com/intermine/intermine/blob/dev/flymine/dbmodel/resources/keyword_search.properties#L8
>>

>> You can also ignore specific fields, but not sure if that would help
>> matters any. The tracker and intermine object tables aren't indexed if
>> that makes you feel better.
>>
>> 2. Alex just wrote a script to stress-test InterMine:
>>
>> https://github.com/alexkalderimis/death-by-snoo-snoo
>>
>> The script runs queries, does enrichment, a keyword search etc. On
>> FlyMine we saw about ~150 requests/second and the site didn't slow down.
>>
>> Another group ran a stress test using JMeter (I think) and had ~12,000
>> requests per minute without any slow down of the site. I'll write up
>> the results of these soon to share with everyone. And get exact numbers.
>>
>> It would be interesting to compare performance with your large-ish mine.
>>
>> I think InterMine will be just fine (I would say that wouldn't I) but
>> what does your hardware situation look like? Are you safe?
>>
>> 3. Our release script does touch these URLs as the final step:
>>
>> http://www.flymine.org/
>> http://www.flymine.org/query/genomicRegionSearch.do
>> http://www.flymine.org/query/keywordSearchResults.do?searchTerm=eve&searchSubmit=GO
>>

>> Other mines also check a single public list, which should trigger the
>> list upgrade process.
>>
>> 4. Your keyword search idea is brilliant! If you do make that change
>> maybe you can push it into the InterMine repo?
>>
>> I've made a ticket here:
>> https://github.com/intermine/intermine/issues/562

>>> Hi Julie,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the info.
>>>
>>> We're on the verge of going public and trying to tie up a few loose
>>> ends, and the lucene indices was one of those.
>>>
>>> Right now, the db size of the mine is ~ 600 G. The biggest tables are
>>> tracker and intermineobject, then the usual suspects of sequencefeature
>>> and bioentity. Some of our SNP tables are in the top 10. And we expect
>>> these to get 10x or 20x bigger as time goes by. 'msa' is a table of

>>> public.intermineobject        | 135 GB
>>> public.snpdiversitysample     | 45 GB
>>> public.clob                   | 33 GB
>>> public.sequencefeature        | 21 GB
>>> public.location               | 15 GB
>>> public.bioentity              | 12 GB
>>> public.geneflankingregion     | 11 GB
>>> public.exon                   | 7291 MB
>>> public.snp                    | 7024 MB
>>> public.snplocation            | 5132 MB
>>> public.consequencessnps       | 3863 MB
>>> public.proteinanalysisfeature | 3331 MB
>>> public.msa                    | 3016 MB
>>> public.intermine_sequence     | 2481 MB
>>> public.utr                    | 1694 MB
>>> public.cds                    | 1578 MB