[InterMine Dev] web app session error

Josh Heimbach josh at intermine.org
Tue Aug 25 16:31:53 BST 2015

Hi everyone,

Sofia and I had a chat outside of the dev mailing list to discuss
property settings and such. Good news: the webapp now launches successfully.

For future reference here's what we did to fix it. The solution might be
specific to Tomcat7 installed via the package manager on CentOS.

In conf/tomcat-users.xml we added two new roles (admin-gui and
admin-script). Please note these have to have comma separated.

<tomcat-users>
    <role rolename="manager-gui"/>
    <role rolename="manager-script"/>
    <role rolename="admin-gui"/>
    <role rolename="admin-script"
    <user username=“YOUR_USERNAME" password=“YOUR_PASSWORD"
roles="manager-gui, manager-script, admin-gui, admin-script"/>
</tomcat-users>

Then restart the Tomcat service.

I've been under the impression that the deployment process uses Tomcat's
manager/html URL path rather than the manager/text/list path where
Sofia's ant deployment was failing. Perhaps the roles we added cover the
manager/text/list.

- Josh