[InterMine Dev] Launching and debugging intermine project with Eclipse

Joe Carlson jwcarlson at lbl.gov
Tue May 19 04:33:03 BST 2015

> On May 18, 2015, at 1:38 PM, Doug Bryant Jr. <bryantd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I set up our intermine project in eclipse, and would now like to launch the project via eclipse in order to set breakpoints for debugging. Is method for doing so documented somewhere?

Hi Doug,

Here is what works for me:

1) start up tomcat with a port open for monitoring

Make a copy tomcat’s bin/startup.sh - call it debug_startup.sh -  make a version and defines the environment variable

export JPDA_OPTS=-agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,address=<your host name>:8069,server=y,suspend=y

or, whatever port is free is 8069 is being used.

And replace the final line with

exec "$PRGDIR"/"$EXECUTABLE" jpda start "$@“

2) Go to eclipse and debug as a remote java application. You just need to specify the host of tomcat and the port that you listed. You’ll need to have a browser window or web service call to get things going.

Hope it helps,

Joe Carlson