[InterMine Dev] doc on primary keys

Julie Sullivan julie at intermine.org
Thu Apr 28 09:34:35 BST 2016

On 27/04/16 20:05, Joe Carlson wrote:
> I’ve been looking at the documentation on primary keys
>
> http://intermine.readthedocs.org/en/latest/database/database-building/primary-keys/
>
> Is this up to date?

Yes

> I’ve been wondering exactly what was the purpose of genomic_keyDefs.properties in

<mine>/dbmodel/resources/. From what I see in the doc, this file must
contain the

description of all keys that will be used by any of the data loaders.
And the key

  properties files in bio/source/<sourcename>/resources/ refer to these
keys by key

  name with the syntax Classname = keyname. Is this just an older way of
doing it a

nd has been replaced by the form Classname.keyname=field1, field2 in the
individual

  loaders?

Yes, exactly. We thought it was easier to define keys in each data
source so we added the new way. However some people disagreed and wanted
to keep the old way, so we left both.

>   I see that the doc says the central key file is an older way of defining keys.

If I have no cases of specifying keys by name in the any of my sources,
does the

genomic_keyDefs.properties file used anywhere?

No. If you've defined keys in each data source that central keys file is
not used for integration.