[InterMine Dev] Prototype InterMine Python 3 support

Justin Clark-Casey justincc at intermine.org
Thu May 11 13:33:26 BST 2017

Hi devs.  I have just posted a package that adds Python 3 support to the Python webservices module [1].  If you're interested in Python then testing is very
much appreciated.  If nothing comes up I plan to have it go live next week.

A further wrinkle with Python 3 support is the code generated by InterMine itself, which is currently only Python 2 compatible.  The most obvious problem is the
lack of parenthesis around print statements, which I'm thinking of fixing by sticking

from __future__ import print_function

at the top of the generated code so Python 2 can handle them.  However, there might be other issues as well when I investigate further (maybe unicode, for
example).  Any thoughts?

[1] https://testpypi.python.org/pypi?:action=display&name=intermine&version=1.09.08

--
Justin Clark-Casey, Synbiomine/InterMine Developer
http://synbiomine.org