[InterMine Dev] GitHub Action: the new continuous integration system

daniela at intermine.org daniela at intermine.org
Tue Dec 22 14:35:53 GMT 2020

Dear interminers,

some of you might have already noticed, that the travis CI builds were
queued and tooked a lot of time, in the last few weeks.

Many people have had similar issues
(https://travis-ci.community/t/builds-hang-in-queued-state/10250/3) and
this is because travis.org, the CI service used by intermine projects,
will be shut down at the end of December.
Travis sent only one email suggesting to migrate across to .com sooner
rather than later. After people started migrating their projects, Travis
announced the new pricing model
(https://blog.travis-ci.com/2020-11-02-travis-ci-new-billing), action
not really appreciated from a lot of people (included me!).

We decided to replace travis with github actions
(https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-team@latest/actions/learn-github-actions).
I spent some days working on it and I am happy to announce that finally
the following projects:
* intermine only dev branch for now
(https://github.com/intermine/intermine/actions?query=workflow%3A%22InterMine+CI%22)
* flymine-bio-sources
(https://github.com/intermine/flymine-bio-sources/actions?query=workflow%3A%22FlyMine+bio+sources+CI%22)
* humanmine-bio-sources
(https://github.com/intermine/humanmine-bio-sources/actions?query=workflow%3A%22HumanMine+bio+sources+CI%22)
run the continuous integration tests using github actions.

I will update the intermine documentation soon.

What does it means to you?
Nothing if you download the intermine artifacts published on jcenter.
If you have a local installation or if you want to make custom changes
to InterMine (and you are using the dev branch or any branch out of
dev),
you can check the result of the continuous integration tests, on the
Actions page under you git hub repo, any time you push or make a new
pull request.
Please find attached a screenshot.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and especially A NEW YEAR MORE KIND with
all of us!

Daniela